Oracle Virtual Box creating virtual machines in the Desktop / Laptops. It uses very less space and less memory consumption, It is very easy and simple interface for the end user to work right away. It’s is free to use.
In this chapter we are going to install oracle Virtual Box installation and creating virtual machines in MacBook.
2. Tested Version
We have tested in the following installation of virtual box.
|Manufacturer & Make||Apple Mac Book Pro|
|OS Version||10.15.5 (19F101)|
|Model||MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)|
|Processor||3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5|
|Memory & HDD||8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3|
& Storage 256GB
3. Installing Virtual Box
Downloaded the oracle Virtual Box from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads, After the successful down load we are going to install the Virtual Box
The downloaded version is VirtualBox-6.1.10-138449-OSX.dmg, Now we are going to install the Virtual Box,
Double click VirtualBox-6.1.10-138449-OSX.dmg from the downloaded path
We will see the Welcome screen, click Continue
The below screen will check the available disk space, Installation will take maximum of 250 MB of space, Click Install to continue to default path, else we can browse to the specified path.
Enter the password, Im using the Macbook Pro with Touch bar, we can enter the password or use finger print to proceed further.
Now we can the installation is successful, click close
4. Oracle Virtual Box Features
There are several features Virtual box has, i have listed few of them
- Portability – Virtualbox(VBox) runs on most the commonly used operating system such as Windows, Linux, Solaris, OSX
- Virtual machines can be imported from other hypervisors
- We can run Windows OS on Linux and Linux OS on Windows
- Great hardware support like Guest multiprocessing (SMP), USB device support, Hardware compatibility, Full ACPI support, Multiscreen resolutions,Built-in iSCSI support, Multigeneration branched snapshots, PXE boot,
- Shared folders from the Guest Machine
5. Supported Operating systems
There are various Operating system virtual box supports
- Windows hosts (64-bit) – Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019
- Mac OS X hosts (64 bit) – 10.13 (High Sierra), 10.14 (Mojave), 10.15 (Catalina)
- Linux hosts (64-bit) – Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, 19.03 and 19.10, Debian GNU/Linux 9 (“Stretch”) and 10 (“Buster”), Oracle Linux 6, 7 and 8, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, 7 and 8, Fedora 30 and 31, Gentoo Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise server 12 and 15
There are other Hypervisors are available in the market, Oracle Virtualbox is very easy and consumes very less memory. Operating system running on the VBox is stable. Hope this post helpful to know about virtual box, please share us your comments. In the next post we will see how to Create Virtual machines.
Oracle Virtual Box downloadshttps://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
One thought on “Install Oracle VirtualBox on MacBook (Version 6.1)”